The synagogue of Páva street was completed in 1923 based on plans by Lipót Baumhorn, known as the greatest figure in synagogue construction in Hungary. After World War II, the abated community had difficulties maintaining the house of worship. As a result of this hardship, it was decided after 2000 that the radically worn-out building should be renovated as an integral part of the Holocaust Museum building. Due to the irregular, diagonal placement of the listed synagogue building, the 3,000 m2 big site proved to be a challenging task. The new wings frame the inner garden as walls drawing towards the street front, the intent being to show a closed, monolith character to the outside. The tower with glass slats containing the entrance to the downstairs exhibition area can be found in the inner garden.